With my life being completely up the air, kind of tornado-like actually…a whirlwind of chaos and change moving forward at rapid speed…
I have signed up for this 2009 RESOLUTIONARY CHALLENGE.
Why? Well, because I just may be crazy.
As if I don’t have enough on my plate right now…now I have to focus on improving my life in a variety of ways as well? Yes, actually, and that’s just it. I feel like I really need this right now. With all of the craziness around me, this challenge will help me to make sure that the PRIORITIES don’t fall by the wayside. And I’m sure that by keeping these essentials in my life I will be better able to traverse this tornado-like climate of chaos and change that is my life for the next few months.
There are ten possible points daily, one for each category.
7 hours of sleep (not necessarily consecutive, naps count)
This will become more challenging in the next few weeks, but it will be good for me to have this excuse NOT to stay up too late trying to get things done.
drink 48 oz. of water
Easy breezy…I drink at least that much water everyday, without even thinking about it. I LOVE water.
45 minutes of exercise (not necessarily consecutive)
In theory this shouldn’t be so hard, but running is really the only exercise I do at present, and I don’t run everyday. I’m going to have to become creative. Maybe walk to pick my son up from kindergarten once or twice a week; perhaps throw in some at-home strength training with weights.
2 servings of veggies, 2 servings of fruit
I already get the fruit and at least one serving of veggies everyday. I’ll have to make a point to eat more veggies. This won’t be hard because I like veggies, but it will take a little bit of planning (to include enough of them on the grocery list and in the meals).
No soda, beer, wine, unhealthy snacks, or bad fast food (anything fried)
I don’t drink soda, beer or wine as it is; the unhealthy snacks will present a small challenge; I rarely eat bad fast food anyway, and when I do it’s because I’m in a bind and need something cheap and fast (like on road trips), not because I like it, though I do have a certain weakness for french fries….
No sweets (candy, desserts, pastries, or sugary snacks & cereals) *sugar-free alternatives in moderation are ok
This may prove harder than I would like…I do have a bit of a sweet tooth.
No eating after dinner/8 pm
As long as I’m not staying up too late I should be ok here. I do get hungry between meals, including after dinner if I stay up for a few hours…
15 minutes of scripture reading (or other spiritual text if you don’t do scripture)
I’m doing more than that at present, because of my reading challenge. But this current reading challenge will be over in a month, so we’ll see if the habit sticks…
I freely admit that this is a HUGE weakness of mine. I have never been in the habit of daily journal writing. In fact, two days into this challenge and I’m 0 for 2 already on this one. I will start today…I have to!
Express sincere appreciation or praise to your spouse (if single, to another person)
A piece of cake…I usually do this more than once a day, without even thinking about it. (Maybe my husband will beg to differ, but I don’t think so…we’ve got a fantastic relationship and are rarely short on praise and lovin’ words for each other.)
I get one free point a week for every category, so I can use my free exercise point on Sundays, for example, because I don’t exercise on Sunday. OR I can just pick one day a week where I get all ten points for free.
You are excused from the sweet rule on YOUR BIRTHDAY (it’s just too bad that my birthday won’t be until after this challenge is over 😦 )
You are allowed three sick days where you are excused from exercising and eating veg/fruit/water [if you can’t eat/drink] This is ONLY to be used if you are indeed sick.
The fun part is that this is not just a personal challenge, but an actual competition (I believe there are 46 participants).
We all deposited $20 into the Challenge Fund. At the end, the THREE resolutionaries with the most points will equally divide 80% of the Challenge Fund. The remaining 20% will be used for a random giveaway for which anyone who has more than 505 points (60% of available points) will be eligible to receive.
The challenge began on Monday and goes for 12 weeks. This is going to be good for me, I think…